Unable to load default SVN client

While installing the subversion plugin Subclipse in the Eclipse IDE I came across a problem. Subclipse uses "JavaHL (JNI)" to interface with subversion by default.

Initially I was getting the following error message when accessing Windows->Preferences->Team->SVN->SVN Interface dropdown:
JavaHL (JNI) Not Available



When attempting to view a repository via the "SVN Repository Exploring" perspective I got a different error message:
Unable to load default SVN client


So I installed the below package
sudo apt-get install libsvn-java


Still the problem continued and I realized that I need to provide the liberary to Eclipse (3.6 Helios)

I choose to set the path to the JavaHL libraries via a command line argument. I accomplished this by setting my Launcher icon for Eclipse to use the command

/path/to/eclipse -vmargs -Djava.library.path=/usr/lib/jni


Another option is to set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable to point to the /usr/lib/jni in your .profile file. Add the below line:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH='/usr/lib/jni'


Once that was done I was able to set the SVN repository successfully. But one last challenge was left. When I was browsing the repository, It was continuously asking me for the password. Somehow Eclipse keyring was not able to store the password.

To resolve this I changed the SVN Interface setting in Windows->Preferences->Team->SVN->SVN Interface dropdown from JavaHL to SVNKit and finally it all worked.

Comments

  1. Thanks.. the last bit on setting to SVNKit did the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. very helpful

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hibernate: a different object with the same identifier value was already associated with the session

BeanDefinitionStoreException: Failed to parse configuration class: Could not find class [javax.jms.ConnectionFactory]